Hearing Evaluations for Kids

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Testing the hearing of children under the age of five requires experience and specialized equipment. Although some private clinics are equipped to test babies and infants I would recommend having your children tested at a local health unit or hospital by a certified Audiologist.

Children over the age of five can generally be tested in a private practice however I recommend calling the clinic prior to arranging an appointment to be sure that the audiologist on staff has experience in testing children. If a hearing loss is detected, the audiologist will arrange for a referral to an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Specialist. Children with any type or degree of hearing loss must be referred to an ENT Specialist for medical clearance before hearing aids can be fit.